TECHNET Archives

November 2008

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:30:53 -0800
I have exactly that issue on my desk these days. Battery packs that consist
of a small PWB with a hard impregnated paper on each side, a number of  Lion
cells and these together are wrapped in a black plastic for protection. They
live in a hostile environment for years. The PWB is a regulator that
controls that the cells are accurately charged and recharged. Now, a certain
percentage are returned regularly because of failures. My analysis showed
that the chinese manufacturer indeed made nice PWB, but left lots of flux
residues. Exposed to humidity, copper dendrites grew between high impedance
conductors and caused the biasing going mad. In the worst cases the
recharging was stopped. My recommendation to the manufacturer was simply to
clean the boards and conformal coat them.

Inge