TECHNET Archives

November 2008

From:
John Goulet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:32:11 +0000
Is there any information on products with No-Clean flux being effected by moisture over a period longer than that tested in SIR tests with the SIR comb test coupons? Some customers make products for vehicles and toys that are subject to more humid conditions. The No-Clean fluxes used always pass SIR which have high resistance values even after 196 hours. However  if the humidity levels rise and fall but never to the point of drying out the moisture. I thinking that the humid spring and summer months could be a problem if not sprayed with a conformal coat. The other situation I'm testing is when a moisture sensitive part is used. Tests on three of the boards showed that the moisture sensitive part was dragging the surface insulation down. When I localized the heating to this part with a small Leister heat gun, the resistance across the battery terminals with the battery removed went back to infinity. Usually the moisture sensitivity is a factor relative to the SMT reflow proc!
ess and
 not an issue in operation. Any info on this? PS this batch was the first ones using Pb-Free solder paste and that means I'll have to check if the BOM changed to a different RoHs version of this special moisture sensitive part.

From: John Burke <[log in to unmask]>