TECHNET Archives

November 2008

From:
David Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:40:11 -0700
Shawn:

It's a 14 Layer board as it has a lot of critical voltages that need
to be planes.  If I had a plane for each voltage, I'd need a 24 layer
board!  I'm only using the surface layers and L3 & L12 for routing.

1 - Primary
2 - DGND
3 - Trace
4 - Split DGND
5 - Split DVCC
6 - Split AVCC
7 - AGND
8 - Split AVCC
9 - DVCC
10 - DGND
11 - Split DVCC
12 - Trace
13 - DGND
14 - Secondary

I'm not sure what the signal speeds are, I'll need to check with the
engineer.  I worked with an engineer in the past who said that it's
not real detrimental when you have a solid plane on one of the
sides.  It's not ideal or desirable, but you still will achieve
acceptable results.  This was based upon his real world results.

Thanks,

Dave