TECHNET Archives

November 2008

From:
"Upton, Shawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Upton, Shawn
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:13:44 -0500
Most of those Asian vehicles do rust away; but I would not ignore the
fact that most domestic vehicles did the same thing right through the
80's.  Even today I'm surprised at how many late model vehicles I see
with rocker panels rusted out!  I guess New England salt conquers all.

My wife likes her Civic, I think it's a tin can--but it does what it
does quite well (point A to point B).  Which is what the Asian imports
do.  One has to remember that in Japan, their registration causes the
price (of registration) to increase as the vehicles age goes up.  Hard
to justify making the vehicle last forever when the users won't.  That,
and it seems most American consumers want a new car (or at least new to
them) every few years anyhow.

Me, I like my VW TDI.  When was the last time a domestic could offer a
station wagon that did 46mpg (real world mpg for me), 700+miles on a
tank, will run on biofuels, and comes in a stick?  I must be an oddball,
but I thought it made for an ideal family man's car.

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
Test Engineer
Allegro MicroSystems, Inc
603.626.2429/fax: 603.641.5336