TECHNET Archives

November 2008

From:
Werner Engelmaier /* <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:06:28 -0500
 Hi Vladimir,
I did not say 'excessive temperature'-- I said 'the more you expose an ENIG layer to soldering temperatures'--that means multiple or lengthy exposures.
If you define 'Black Pad' as the presence of P at the Ni/NiSn-IMC interlayer to a degree significantly weakening that interface, then you can arrive at that condition by multiple paths.
One is faulty manufacturing, the other is excessive Ni-dissolution--of course, these can work in combination.

Werner