TECHNET Archives

November 2008

From:
Charming Chan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:27:01 +0800
Hello Pete,

Thank you for the information below.

BTW, did you do any test to improve wetting contact angle for the lead PTH

connected with copper plane with thermal relief? At the lead free wave

soldering process in our facility, the wetting contact angle exceed 90°

and the surface appearance of the solder joint looks as follows. Any

thoughts on this? Thanks a lot.

                              __

                             |    | <--------------- Component Lead

                             |    |

                            /     \

                          /        \  <-------------- Surface Appearance

of Solder Joint

                        /           \

                      /              \

                     |                 | <------------ 90° wetting

contact angle

     _________|__________|________  The surface of copper plane

Best Regards

Charming Chan

PCBA Engineer

Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>

发件人: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

2008-10-29 21:06

请答复 给 TechNet E-Mail Forum; 请答复 给 Pete Houwen

        收件人:        [log in to unmask]

        抄送:

        主题:  Re: [TN] How to improve solder filling and wetting contact

angles for thermal vias at wave soldering process.

We did some testing of design parameters when we switched to lead-free,

and

found that the lead-hole ratio is more critical.  We also found that top

side

pad size is irrelevant for hole fill, but large bottom side pads can

adversly

affect hole fill.  Using this chart, we are able to achieve 75% with

regularity

(and we do not have the best process controls in our plant):

Lead Range               Pad Size                Hole Size

.000-.017                0.05            0.026

.018-.022                0.06            0.035

.023-.027                0.07            0.04

.028-.032                0.07            0.046

.033-.042                0.08            0.052

.043-.052                0.09            0.062

.053-.063                0.1             0.073

.064-.076                0.11            0.086

.077-.086                0.12            0.096

.087-.106                0.14            0.116

.107-.115                0.15            0.125

(dimensions in inches)

standard plane connects are thermal relief, using (4) .008" spokes.

This testing was done only to establish design parameters, there are

plenty of

process parameters that will affect hole fill.  But if your design

parameters

aren't good, all the process tweaks in the world won't fix trhe problem.