TECHNET Archives

November 2008

From:
keith Calhoun <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:22:04 -0500
Carl;

In my previous employment we built several small daughter boards, and used
the plated castellation type of connection on a couple of small ones, for
something the size you are talking about we used preformed leads from NAS
Interplex, you may want to look into their products.  The only thing I can
say about this approach is due to the nature of the RF circuitry you may not
be able to use a lead of this type.  If not, I can see many problems trying
to keep a board of this size flat, especially if a shield can is installed.
Yes, you will need to use a high temp solder to assembly the board and
attach the can.  I had experience with some filter assemblies where the
manufacturer didn't do this and we had a mess when we reflowed them on to
our microstrip assemblies.  The parts inside the filters reflowed and
shifted effecting the performance of the filters.  Cleaning under a
castellated board of this size would be a nightmare also.

Keith S. Calhoun
Product Engineer
SoPark Corporation