TECHNET Archives

November 2008

From:
Gary Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:01:44 -0700
Dave,

A couple of other questions on the stackup:  I see that 11 is a split
DVCC and 9 is a solid DVCC - could they be swapped?  Also, Layer 4 is a
split DGND - do those grounds really need to be split? i.e., are they at
different potentials or will there really be ground currents that would
affect the circuits?

If you still have to route across the splits there are a couple of other
things you could look at; basically attempting to reduce the coupling
dependent on the split plane.  Increase the differential coupling
between the traces - not much to do there other than keeping the spacing
tight.  And, perhaps offset the trace layer towards the solid plane,
increasing the spacing to the split plane.  An impedance calculator like
POLAR could give you the numbers.

Gary

Gary A. Crowell Sr., P.E., CID+
www.linkedin.com\in\garycrowellsr