TECHNET Archives

October 2008

From:
Lee parker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lee parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 10:01:24 -0400
Arnaud

I have not seen any definitive side by side data comparing the reliability
of ENIG and flash gold. Perhaps a vendor in Asia could make this comparison.
I have worked with OEMs using both coatings, but from different suppliers.
Flash gold was found to be a better choice (fewer quality issues).

Process control is operating the process in a manner consistent with the
suppliers specification. When I audit a shop I request a copy of the
chemical suppliers specification for each bath. In cases, I have found that
the PCB supplier did not have these instructions. In other cases the process
was not being operated according to the suppliers specification. In the case
of ENIG this can cause porous gold or even black pad.  Unfortunately,
auditing incoming product is a must to maintained a high quality product.
The auditing frequency should be a function of the product's complexity and
the OEMs long term experience with the PCB supplier. Initially the frequency
should be 100%. As confidence in the supplier increases, the frequency can
usually be reduced.

Best regards
Lee
JLP Consultants LLC