TECHNET Archives

October 2008

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:15:06 +0100
Bi/Sn has long been a low MP alternative alloy for special situations.
Now that Pb containing surfaces have washed out of the system with move to
Pb-free, Bi based alloys are being more widely used when a low MP is needed.
The key is to use a low temperature flux to go with the low MP alloy. The
rate of joint formation is also slower due to  low tin content so the flux
has to be capable of sustaining a longer reflow time.
Finally many people favour use of an alloy with a small addition of Ag, this
makes the alloy more ductile

Regards

Mike Fenner
Indium Corporation

T: + 44 1908 580 400
M: + 44 7810 526 317
F: + 44 1908 580 411
E: [log in to unmask]
W: www.indium.com
Pb-free: www.Pb-Free.com

Indium Corporation
Incorporated in New York, USA
Registered office: (Not for correspondence)
77-97 Harpur Street, Bedford , UK
Registered number: fc16473