TECHNET Archives

October 2008

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:20:32 -0700
From my years of looking at solder joints, I've seen aged AuSn IMC's
'degenerate' to that degree that the components have lifted. A fresh AuSn
IMC must not be regarded a catastrophy, in fact it's strong while not very
flexible. When you run current through the joint and add a high temperature,
processes that I can't explain will start. The plates and dendrites Werner
mention are the same, but the small amounts of non-IMCs that exist between
the large platelets (kind of 'glue' ) begin to move and more or less
disappear. The result becomes a disastrous and rotten solder joint that can
break at the slightest mechanical movement. Am sorry for not having the
ultimate scientific explanation, but there are guys who can satisfy your
curiosity. One such is Mr Bulwith, once a Sandia lab rat, don't know where
he is now. Below is one of his many, many papers about soldering to Gold
over Nickel over Copper over Donuts over River Kwai. Hope this gives you an
idea.
/Inge

http://www.shanelo.co.za/List%20of%20articles/GOLD%20Soldering.pdf