TECHNET Archives

October 2008

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:22:50 -0500
Hi John! Well, I have a response that probably isn't what you are looking
for - " it depends" (cha-ching, Doug gets another Mt. Dew). There are two
basic camps out in the industry: Camp A: don't use a lead-free BGA in a
tin/lead solder process because you just don't know what the resulting
solder joint may be; (2) Camp B: increase the reflow temperature so that
the lead-free BGA in a tin/lead solder process can reach a uniform
distribution of Pb throughout the solder joint. Some of the published
reports also indicate that the BGA construction specifics (i.e. material
type, die size, I/O, ball metallurgy, e.g.) can play a significant role in
whether the solder joint integrity would be compromised.  The
2006/2007/2008 SMTAI Conference proceedings are good sources of published
papers on the topic. Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

John Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
10/21/2008 10:21 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to

cc

Subject
[TN] Lead Free BGA'S

Our assembly house recently assembled some boards with Lead Free BGA's for
us
and when I asked them if they used a lead free process they responded
with.

We use leaded solder (Sn63Pb37) with a hybrid oven profile to accommodate
the lead-free BGA. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know
if you have any more questions."
Is this a common process, is this a reliable process

Any input is appreciated

Thank You
John Foster