TECHNET Archives

October 2008

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:31:20 +0300
In the equipment we used to make, a long time ago, the test ran until
there was no further significant change or 15 minutes, whichever was the
longer. We then mathematically analysed the curve of measured
contamination against time and were able to extrapolate it to infinite
time. The shape of the curve was used to give an idea of the nature of
the contaminants (and their relative danger) and whether they were
trapped under components or whether the substrate was leaching. All
these data were on the print-out.

The danger of letting a test go along too long is that leaching from the
substrate, which may actually be harmless, may give higher levels than
the real contaminants.

Brian