TECHNET Archives

October 2008

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:02:03 -0400
Hello Chris,

J-STD-001 Rev D section 8.3.6.2, states that the static method should be performed in compliance with test method 2.3.25, item 6. If you review method 2.3.25 rev C, under section 6.3.3 it states the following:
"The test can be terminated when there is no further change, in time, of the resistivity or conductivity functions. This can be established electronically in most commercially available equipment."   So your interpretation is accurate.

More practically, it is important to remember that not all board soils dissolve at the same rate, nor do all soils dissolve in 75% ipa and 25% DI water.  All extraction based tests are affected by three factors: 1) the solubility of the soil, 2) the length of time the soil is exposed to the extraction and 3) the temperature of the extract solution.  For the most part, a longer extraction with increased temperature is better.  Consider the extraction method used for ion chromatography. In that method, the extraction is done for one hour at 80 C using 75/25.  Assuming that there are no solder mask issues, this method is quite effective for bringing most surface residues into solution. The point I'm trying to make is that the auto-terminate test with a heated extraction will likely improve the amount of soil you can dissolve.  How much of an improvement is difficult to say.  The question becomes are you prepared for the residue results to change from what you're typically seeing?  I suspect this is part of the reason that your having some differing opinions within your group.  My experience is that most companies run the ROSE test for a shorter period of time (typically ten minutes).   The reason the test is kept short is because they don't want to run the risk of failing the test.

One suggestion might be to set up an experiment to compare the two approaches.  Then once you have the results make your decision.

Best Regards,

Joe Russeau