TECHNET Archives

October 2008

From:
Paymon Sani <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paymon Sani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:09:56 -0400
We had this experience where the PCB supplier made a mistake and applied
ENIG as the surface finish in place of HASL. Then they ran the PCBs with
ENIG finish through their normal HASL process before shipping it to us.
Unfortunately, we had a very bad solder wetting to the pad surfaces; the
investigation suggested that in some areas the IMC was as thick as the
solder thickness on the nickel layer!

There is no way for this to be a standard process with blocks showing
HASL after gold plating. The alternative that the PCB has selective hard
gold plating at the fingers prior to the HASL process makes sense.

Sincerely,
Paymon