TECHNET Archives

September 2008

From:
Roger Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Roger Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:09:17 -0400
In what way is HAL different from HASL?  Some use the difference to
distinguish between SnPb solder (HASL) and Pb-free solder (HAL).  Solder
is the only finish that I am aware of that utilizes hot-air leveling for
creating a fairly flat finish anyway, so it appears your concern would
be whether the finish is SnPb or Pb-free Sn.  Correct?

And to this, some component suppliers have been providing tin-only
finish on parts for years, most notably smd capacitors.  Using SnPb
solder on Sn boards and parts should work fine, assuming your assemblies
are not RoHS-compliant.  We (persons I work for) have had no problems so
far, don't anticipate any.

Besides semantics, in which your customer may be worrying about a
non-existent problem, me thinks Bob's analysis is correct.

Roger