TECHNET Archives

September 2008

From:
Bob METCALF <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob METCALF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:48:44 -0400
Phil,

Your vendors are correct. With today's liquid photoimagable solder mask,
which is most commonly applied by screen flood coat, it is difficult to
insure a deposit beyond 0.0003" on the knee of circuits. Through testing
over the years, I have found that this coverage is enough to withstand the
rigors of the rest of the fabrication process as well as assembly. I would
be careful however, if the coverage drops below 0.0003"  I have found
difficulties surviving the electroless nickel, emersion gold process as
well as repeated thermal excursions in assembly.

In the old days of screened defined, thermally cured epoxy and dry film
solder masks we did get more coverage over the knee due to higher
viscosity of the liquid masks and the thicker profile of the dry film
solder masks.

Regards,

Bob Metcalf
Atotech Western Regional Manager

Cell 714-334-7667
E-Mail [log in to unmask]

This e-mail and any attachments hereto are business documents of Atotech
USA Inc. and may contain CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY BUSINESS INFORMATION.
Unauthorized disclosure and/or use of information contained in this email
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read,
use, disseminate or copy this message or any other files transmitted with
it.

Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
09/23/2008 05:28 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Solder mask thickness

Good afternoon,

OK, here is this afternoon's question.  Solder mask thickness, what is the
"industry standard"?  We currently specify 0.001" thickness and this may
be fine on a large area when tested via IP TM-650, 2.5.6.1.  Now use 2
ounce copper traces in a normal board configuration.  Our board vendors
are stating that they cannot hold the 0.001" thickness at the edges of the
etch, it is more like 0.0003".  And if we spec 4 ounce or 6 ounce I'm sure
it doesn't get any better.

How are you specifying solder mask thickness on your heavy copper weight
circuit boards?

Do your board vendors use two coats of mask to obtain the thickness needed
to comply?

IPC-SM-840 section 3.4 says it must meet the requirements of section
3.8.1, thickness of 0.001" at 500 Vdc.

Your guidance is requested.

Thanks,

Phil Nutting

Note: All the information contained in this e-mail and its attachments is
proprietary to Kaiser Systems, Inc. and it may not be reproduced without
the prior written permission of sender.  If you have received this email
in error, please immediately return it to sender and delete the copy you
received.