TECHNET Archives

September 2008

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:43:32 -0500
Tom,
I would imagine that you are trying to get off all the white residue from
the flux.  As you have found, that residue is pretty tenacious.  The
reason for this is that the rosin has a tendency to polymerize after
soldering and becomes very hard to remove with time.  When we do hand
soldering, our operators topically clean the area with an approved
solvent, such as Flux Off, Proclean, Bioact SC-10, right after soldering.
Then it goes through our saponified water wash (Kyzen Aquanox A4520) with
no problems.  The topical cleaning chemical bonds with the residue to
create a very cleanable intermediate.

As to the qualification, do you really need to?  Is a customer driving
such a test?  I can see doing testing if you propose to eliminate a
cleaning step, but very seldom have I seen the need when one is adding a
localized cleaning step.

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins

"Gervascio, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
09/13/2008 02:14 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Gervascio, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] qualification of manual bench cleaning processes

We have in the past abandoned manual defluxing after hand soldering
(ROL0 and ROM0) rosin fluxes with in line saponified washes. Well in
some cases we have to run boards seven times through the in line wash
resulting in degraded anodized finish, part marking removal , etc. I am
trying to gather the experiences and methodoloy to select the best type
of manual defluxing processes and qualify to make sure that the process
is adequate and any residues would be benign. Would start with the
J-STD-001 cleaning process qualification testing on materials and
residues but was trying to see what other folks are using out there
rather than being bombarded with sales pitches.

Any experiences and information would be appreciated.
Tom