TECHNET Archives

September 2008

From:
Steve Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:41:59 -0400
Good Day To All,

 I am back with this thread I started in April this year with some more
questions.

After extensive analysis we have found evidence of what IPC 4203 and 4204
calls inclusions in the raw material we use to make the flex circuits. These
inclusions are usually in the 5-10 micron range and they usually come in
groups (few particles in a group). From the SEM/EDX scans they consist of
Si, Mg, Ca and Cl. Carbon and oxygen are also present in the spectra. What
the exact possible formulations are - I am open to suggestions or theories.

Our theory is that whatever these are they absorb  moisture and the result
is they form ions and  lower the dielectric breakdown between the adjacent
tracks which are at 100 micron space. Under the bias voltage we get a high
resistance short.

Questions: a) does this theory make sense or any comments

                       b)at the present time my customer believes this test
helps define that the part will work for 25 years and getting them to change
their mind is not likely to happen. On the next generation product they have
moved the spacing to 200 microns - my concern is they may just be postponing
the inevitable- may make it through 500 hours and fail at 750 for example.
Comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks again to the TechNet on this
issue- especially to Mr. Pauls and Mr. Ellis for previous help.

Steve Kelly

PFC Flexible Circuits Limited

PH: (416) 750-8433

Fax: (416) 750-0016