TECHNET Archives

August 2008

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:13:57 +0300
OK, NiMH batteries have potassium hydroxide electrolyte which is
particularly bad. It will attack most resins, including epoxies,
rendering them porous. I doubt very much whether you will be able to
recover the assemblies or, if you can, it will cost you more than new ones.

I suggest that your 'busted' chips are because they were powered on
under fault conditions. It seems unlikely that the electrolyte would
penetrate the casings. If it did and the chip bonding was with aluminium
wire, their lifetime would count in seconds, as this metal is literally
eaten away by KOH!

Brian