TECHNET Archives

July 2008

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:01:20 -0700
Pete,

I may be wrong, but I claim that there is no ENIG reference picture or
pictures. ENIG can have many faces, large 'grain' clusters, small clusters,
bright appearance and dull,  typical gold colored and more like copper
color,  hard surface and rather soft one, super flat and like Rocky
Mountains seen in a SEM....it all depends (TM).  There are some traps
also...you can study a ENIG board sample in a SEM, look hard on it with a
LOM, do EDAX and other advanced investigations and find everything looking
'good', while, at the same time, the sample is impossible to solder at. And
vice versa.  For a serious qualification, I recommend some of the programs
used by anyone with this forum,  George Wenger,  Dave Hillman, Richard
Stadem or similar experienced guy. Myself, I could send lots of 'ENIG
pictures' but I'm afraid these wouldn't be enough for a qualification. If
you really mean to make a good qualification job, you'd better sit down and
mail to any of the mentioned gurkas...sorry..gurus.

Inge

PS. If noone supports you, I'll send something offline to you, but later
when I'm at my office.