TECHNET Archives

July 2008

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:08:41 -0700
I am laughing so hard I can hardly type.

Take a look at this note from the San Jose Mercury news today...

Did someone at Apple finally decide it was time to payback Brussels for the
lead free fiasco?? Or is it an advance surcharge for banning Gallium
Arsenide?

Belgium sticker shock: iPhones to cost nearly $1,000; highest price in the
world

Department of dubious distinctions: You may be feeling oppressed and
downright surly due to the soaring cost of gasoline, airline tickets, sweet
corn and so forth. But have a little sympathy for those poor folks in
Belgium.

They finally get a chance on Friday to buy one of Apple's new iPhones and
it's going to cost <http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_9828168>
them $825 for the 8-gigabyte model and $966 for the 16-gigabyte version. In
the U.S., the same phones are priced at just $199 and $299 respectively.

Although the explanation our news wires provide for this is a bit fuzzy, it
apparently has to do with a quirk in Belgian law. Whatever the case, the
Belgians are going to be paying the world's highest prices for the gadgets
and some people in that nation are in a tizzy about it. Thank goodness,
nobody's tried yet to jack up the price of their Belgian waffles.

John Burke

(408) 515 4992