TECHNET Archives

July 2008

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2008 06:34:13 -0400
I have heard that the early adhesion promoter treatment for glass fiber epoxy wetting was based on chromium chemistry - giving the pale green color typical of epoxy glass FR-4 even today.? So, when the chemistry of epoxy to glass adhesion treatment was changed, the color was kept.?

My understanding of the color in predominately green solder mask is that it is a chlorinated organic pigment.? If the proposed EU regulations go through for additions to RoHS, maybe we will have to change solder mask color away from green, or find a new pigment.?? I had heard that the "green" environmental symbol proposed in Japan was a blue leaf - the pigment is blue before chlorination.? Maybe someone on TechNet knows the current situation for "green" labeling without using "bad" pigments with chlorinated organics.

Denny Fritz
MacDermid, Inc.