TECHNET Archives

July 2008

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:52:37 +0300
The answer is clear. Cleaning should be carried out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
after soldering. The longer the time gap, the harder the residues become
and the more difficult they are to remove. The ideal is to start the
cleaning as soon as you can comfortably hold the assemblies. This does
not mean that you may not be able to clean them the following day, but
you may have difficulties.

The old 1 h limit of the MIL specs is a legacy from the days when we
soldered with an RMA flux to MIL-F-13949 (number if my memory is OK) and
cleaned with a CFC-113 blend. We have moved beyond these days. If you
use a WS flux, you may find the solder is horribly matt if you wait as
long as one hour!

So the answer is ASAP but do whatever gives you provably good results,
whether it be 1 minute, 1 hour or 1 day. NEVER rely on specifications
for this kind of thing because the guys who wrote them had no idea which
flux YOU would be using, which soldering process YOU would use, which
cleaning product YOU would use or which equipment YOU would use. Only
YOU can prove that your process is good, by scientific qualification.
You are really asking how long a piece of string is.

Brian