TECHNET Archives

July 2008

From:
Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:45:35 -0500
We put a lot of money and effort into material and finish selections in the
RoHS chageover.

We have strict specifications on our fabrication drawings.

We have previously fully qualified 3 high volume and 2 prototype PCBs, and
maintain them in a world wide AVL.

but purchasing sees pennies.............

This is just a proposed vendor - only sample quantites assembled, we haven't
ordered anything yet (I hope).

So far the proposed vendor has:
claimed to be a fabricator, but is actually a broker
fabricated at two shops, neither was included in the site visits or D&amp;Bs
switched the laminate we approved (twice)
changed layer spacing
used some alien plating material
performed microsectioning and solder testing on a non-RoHS PCB, but shipped
a completely different (hopefully RoHS) panel
The other (passed) microsection showed innerlayer separation.
Shipped PCBs with soldermask on pads.

Best scenario is that this finally wakes purchasing up to what I've been telling
them about buying boards in China.  Worst case is - they buy these anyway.