TECHNET Archives

July 2008

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:18:48 -0400
Pete,
A good XRF and a calibrated set of thickness standards will tell you if you
have ENIG within thickness specs for this finish.

Also dab some solder paste on board pads, shoot it through a normal reflow
and inspect the results:
1) Does the solder wet out the pad nicely?
2) Can you flick off the re-solidified solder with your fingernail
(obviously a bad sign)?
3) Look at the x-section of the joint. Is there evidence of a continuous
tin/nickel intermetallic layer?

Bev
RIM