LEADFREE Archives

July 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:39:15 EDT
Since a particular proprietary solder, the Nihon Superior "SN100C" is in the
title of this string I will mention that it has been found that the rate of
growth of the intermetallic that is the first to form on at the interface
between copper and a high-solder, Cu6Sn5, is also affected by dopants.    As I think
by now everyone knows one of the features that distinguished SN100C from
other solders was a Ni addition at a specific level.   The Ni selectively
incorporates into the intermetallic so that it becomes (Cu,Ni)6Sn5.   Nishikawa et al.
reported to the IPC/Soldertec Lead-free Conference in Amsterdam in 2004 that
in their experiments with droplets of SnCu solder on a copper substrate the
growth of the intermetallic reached a minimum at 0.05%Ni.    That observation is
consistent with practical observations that intermetallic growth in SN100C
solder joints to copper is slower and more even than in joints that do not
contain Ni and that can have implications for reliability in long term service.

Keith Sweatman
Nihon Superior Co., Ltd.