TECHNET Archives

June 2008

From:
Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:03:19 -0400
Then there is the rest of the story - Reliability vs. Survivability Testing

Recently companies are performing survivability testing.

Reliability testing is achieved by assembly and rework simulation followed by thermal cycles to failure at temperatures between 150°C and 210°C. Survivability testing is, simply put, assembly cycles to failure.

Survivability testing is performed where the high temperature is specified between 220°C (tin-lead) and 260°C (lead-free). Our test method specifies starting at ambient then heating to 260°C in three minutes +/- five seconds followed by cooling in approximately two minutes. This type testing is done where the end use environment is so benign as to impose minimal strain and stress. Consider that a high end computer may be designed with a controlled environment where the computer is turned on once in its life and the internal temperature is held constant. For that application the only significant stress is as a result of assembly and rework. A high temperature, highly accelerated test to 220°C produces comparative results in hours.

The other justification for high temperature survivability testing is that the time to results is just hours. Even though the end use environment, for a given application, is not well controlled, one may choose high temperature testing because it has the advantage of a very short time to results. Reliability testing is typically 500 thermal cycles while survivability testing end at 50 cycles. Our reliability test method, for example, produces 500 thermal excursions in two days. High temperature survivability testing allows 50 thermal excursions in about 4 hours. One effect is to increase testing throughput by a factor of ~10:1 if the product is robust and survives to end of test. Weak product fails in just minutes which in effect increased through put by a factor of ~40:1. If there is a failure, standard microscopic analysis demonstrates failure mode and possible causes (thin plating, interconnect smear etc). In the beginning the lot is rejected due violation of IPC requirements base on microscopic examination. Mature users will forgo the cost of microsections and reject on cycle to failure data alone.

There are a few considerations with survivability testing. In survivability testing the failure mode may shift from traditional barrel cracks to corner cracks.   It is reasonable to perform survivability testing on a limited sample and if there is a premature failure follow with reliability testing on the balance of the product to better enunciate failure modes and establish a relative reliability ranking. There are a few unique requirements in survivability testing and one is the surface finish cannot have solder as it will reflow at temperatures above liquidous, automatically repairing copper cracks.

For more information please feel free to contact me off line.

Sincerely,

Paul Reid

Program Coordinator

PWB Interconnect Solutions Inc.