TECHNET Archives

June 2008

From:
jonathan noquil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, jonathan noquil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:04:33 +0800
Hi Ben:
Why not use flux to attach the balls?
If you use solder it could alter somehow your ball diameter and ball
property since SAC solder is Sn rich and your ball is high lead. Pb will
react with Sn and gradually affect the solder joint property between
solderball and SAC solder (This is a reliability risk).
In the past we have tried this and our solder ball collapsed due to Sn and
Pb reaction, but since your BGA solder mask defined, maybe you can maintain
your ball height but i doubt if you can maintain ball uniformity/planarity

regards
J.Noquil
Senior Member Technical Staff
CSD