TECHNET Archives

June 2008

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:04:07 -0700
Of course as with all pwb questions, "It depends."  You can really
only know if you quote your specific design with your supplier.

a) It's a small adder if you're talking uVia from a supplier that
already does solid copper stacked uVia.
On a high volume handset you may see as much as a dime or 20c added
per pwb. Maybe less depending on your design/supplier.
order of magnitude = dollars/panel.

b) It's a big adder if the fab doesn't have the uFill type capability
and have to epoxy fill and overplate -- esp if the epoxy filling is
outsourced to a service (e.g. HDI in SoCal). order of magnitude =
10's or 100's of dollars/panel in low volume w/ outside processing.

c) It's an even bigger adder if there are competing rqmts for PTH or
(heaven help you) pressfit PTH on the same pwb.  Been there, done
that, do that.
order of magnitude = (ouch).

Filled/planar uVia in pad has become a standard requirement for many
OEM's: particularly in high volume offshore with fine pitch BGA's.
We spec it on all our new product with .5mm and smaller BGA's. Some
legacy stuff hasn't been converted since the particular design is low
enough volume or yields well in SMT.

dw