TECHNET Archives

June 2008

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:13:17 +0100
Just thinking this through and this is what I speculate/hypothesise:
So far as I know you can't plate an alloy, so if they have plated then they
must have co-plated the Sn Ag and Cu in the appropriate proportions  for
them to melt/dissolve on soldering, That might do something to the soldering
process, possibly non homogenous/grainy joints, soldering process would be a
little slower and need more time for homogeneity, this would lead to a
reduction in tombstoning though. I doubt it would be that significant
though. IF you can plate an alloy, or functional alloy, the same applies, a
95.XX pure tin coat would not be that different to normal 99.X%

Most probably they have hot tinned them in SAC and used "plating" as a sort
of generic coating term, not a specific. In that case there is likely to be
more solder than on a plated part.
The alloy would still dissolve into the molten Sn/Pb (just as pure tin MP
232C does) as normal. Being hot dipped the solder joint is already made so
wetting would be OK, and joint formation correspondingly quicker. Add in:
The MP of SAC at 217C could be well below peak profile, so now we have a
raised Surface tension mix (from the added high Sn content of SAC) in a fast
joint formation: a recipe for the tombstoning observed by Geert.

Regards

Mike Fenner
Indium Corporation

T: + 44 1908 580 400
M: + 44 7810 526 317
F: + 44 1908 580 411
E: [log in to unmask]
W: www.indium.com
Pb-free: www.Pb-Free.com

Indium Corporation
Incorporated in New York, USA
Registered office: (Not for correspondence)
77-97 Harpur Street, Bedford , UK
Registered number: fc16473