TECHNET Archives

June 2008

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 07:53:59 -0500
Mike,
As others have said, the two don't mix.  I have tried to clean silicones
from spray equipment and you can never get it down enough such that it
does not cause fisheyes and other coating problems.  Save yourself a whole
lot of problems and simply get new equipment.  If you cannot go this
direction, then I would suggest that you use naphtha as a cleaning
solvent.  It seems to be more effective than other solvents on silicone
residues.  Then follow the naphtha cleaning with alcohol cleaning.  You
would probably need to clean your exhaust stacks too.  Replacing might be
easier and cheaper in the long run.

You did not say what kind of silicone you were going from (solvent vs 100%
solids) and what kind of urethane you are going to (solvent-borne (notice
the proper spelling) vs. two part reactive).  Where you may not have had
an environmental exhaust permit issue before, you may have one now if you
are going to a VOC-based solvent urethane.  Check with your local EPA or
DNR.

Someone else brought up the dreaded "O word" - OSHA.  Check what personal
protective equipment you will need.   Many of the urethanes have higher
health impact ratings than silicones.

Urethanes and silicones have dramatically different properties in terms of
chemical resistance, thermal performance and rigidity.  Have you checked
with the designers to determine if there is any impact to form, fit or
function that this change represents?

Urethanes and silicones flow differently, have you figured in the time to
retrain your operators on the new methods?

Urethanes and silicones look and feel different in their finished form.
Are you ready for the change in workmanship standards?  Have you accounted
for the re-training time for your inspectors?

Urethanes and silicones have completely rework and repair procedures.

What does the end user think about the change?

Are you ready for the culture change?  The material switch is relatively
easy.  It's changing the culture that is a cast iron *^%*#^(*#.

Doug Pauls

Mike Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
06/06/2008 10:04 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Mike Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Changing conformal coating from silicone to urethane...

We are considering changing our pcb conformal coating process from a
silicone base material to a urethane base material.  Other than a thorough
cleaning of our machine, replacing material delivery lines, complete
disassembly and cleaning of nozzles, ordering new nozzles to meet
viscosity requirements of new material if necessary, are there other
concerns we should be addressing?

Mike

***
The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this
e-mail in error please notify the sender by return e-mail delete this
e-mail and refrain from any disclosure or action based on the information.
***