DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:15:11 +0200
On 17 Jun 2008 at 14:32, James Jackson wrote:

> This is the first that I have heard of this 'merger'.
>
> I seem to recall another 'merger' that took place many years ago...
> between Cadnetix and Daisy - to become Dazix. If I recall correctly,
> that was a bit more hostile than a simple merger. Of course...
> Cadnetix is no more.

Oh yes, there were many brands and names on the market when I began
with CAD layout in 1993, we all saw these names coming and going....
(and migrated our stuff or dropped everything and began new from
scratch and again and again).

> It should be remembered that for every 'merger' of these CAD
> companies... one set of EDA software gets dis-continued - and the
> other set becomes the set that is marketed, even though the CAD
> company states up front that it will not do that. This has happened
> more times than I can remember - or care to.
>

> I have often thought that it would be a good thing for someone to put
> together a 'family tree' sort of chart that listed all of the CAD
> companies that were... and who they merged with. It could start
> somewhere around the early 70's or so... and continue on down to
> today.

I remember a chart like that a few years ago don't know whether in
the web or anywhere printed. But for sure, these charts will come in
updated versions in the printed media in the next few days, if the
planned merges becomes more concrete.

> So. Is a merger between these two companies good? I don't think so.

Don't know what happens with well established tools with a wide
customer base, like PADS. If I think of the end of all OEM Specctra
Routers (and yes, I countersunk much money in this tool for nothing).
I must admit, I was surprised that nothing bad happened with PADS
after the bad experiences with TopCAD/Integra Station.

Best regards
Matthias Mansfeld

--
Matthias Mansfeld Elektronik * Leiterplattenlayout
Neithardtstr. 3, 85540 Haar; Tel.: 089/4620 093-7, Fax: -8