DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:32:46 +0200
From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
On 18 Jun 2008 at 6:31, Denis Lefebvre wrote:

> >After all we are Designers... not Tool specific users.
>
> In theory you are right, but that is just not true in practice.
> If you are looking for a job,see if you get an offer from an
> employer that uses tool X when your recent experience is with tool Y.
> It just doesn't happen - even if you have many more years of relevant
> experience than the other applicants, dude, you ain't gettin' the job.

And don't forget another point: A CAD system change is one thing for
an employed (or job changing) designer, but another thing for an
independent design bureau.

If you are an employed designer, then your problem is "only" to learn
the new tool.

If you are an independent design bureau (like me), it is directly
your own money which you waste again and again, when the industry
forces you to upgrade oder to change your _own_ system.

I can feel with these guys falling in panic, who own one of the
systems which may be affected by that monster-merger.

Best regards
Matthias Mansfeld

--
Matthias Mansfeld Elektronik * Leiterplattenlayout
Neithardtstr. 3, 85540 Haar; Tel.: 089/4620 093-7, Fax: -8