DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:38:18 -0500
From:
Mario Irigoyen <[log in to unmask]>
Hello fellow designers,

I have no doubt, being in the involved with PCB design and the EDA
industry for over 25 years, that the merger/take over of Mentor by
Cadence would have an extremely negative effect on the industry and
those of us who use EDA tools to make a living.

I have seen, first-hand, what happens to good tools after they are
purchased by a competitor, they die. Not that I am a fan of either
company, but which tool set will be put to pasture? No matter which one
survives that still leaves an overwhelming majority of users of the
other tool that will have to change. We all know what that means.

Then, the internal turmoil of both companies (sales, support and
development) will be devastating. Hundreds, perhaps thousands will lose
their jobs. The more technical folks will seek any kind of work they can
find which will be in the design space that we occupy. The rules of
Supply and Demand will no doubt cause salaries to drop as the supply of
skilled labor increases.

15 years ago there were perhaps 10 (or more) tools/companies to choose
from. If this goes through that number will be reduced to about 2. I'm
glad I chose Altium, it is doubtful they will be sold.

Mario Irigoyen