TECHNET Archives

May 2008

From:
Jason Roetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 10:39:47 -0400
Assumptions will get you every time!!

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Croslin, Robert
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] PTH's With Immersion Silver - Problem Solved!

As Pogo the Possum once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Thanks to your feedback we realized that the issue of immersion silver
versus HASL in the PTH's was a red herring, so we dug deeper and found
that our engineer had changed the connectors on the BOM and neglected to
update the schematic, so the PCB layout designer was never aware of it.
The engineer assumed that since the lead spacing on the new part was the
same, it was a drop in replacement part.  Unfortunately, the flat leads
were wider than the earlier part.  Our BOM's are maintained using
Agile's PDM system which unfortunately has no direct link to the PCB
design tool so the hole diameters were never increased to accommodate
the new part.

Sounds like I have a process with a flaw in it to fix.

Again, thanks for all the feedback and a better understanding of IS.

Bob Croslin
The Nielsen Company