TECHNET Archives

May 2008

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 13:46:12 EDT

The IPC 4553 spec for immersion silver gives a "typical" immersion silver
thickness for the vendors of "thick" plating as 8-12 MICROinches.  That  means
that with both sides of the hole plated, you could get 16-24 MICROinches  of
hole diameter reduction.  That is .016 to .025 MILLIinches of hole  reduction,
or .016 to .024 mils of reduction from the silver - that is 1/60th to  1/40th
of a mil.  I cannot imagine that since you are specifying holes in  mils, that
you can even see the reduction in hole diameter due to silver.   HASL
tolerance may cause a hole diameter to be reduced a mil or slightly more  due to the
curvature due to solder surface tension, as HASL therefor might be  say 40
times as thick in the center of the hole barrel as immersion silver, but  you/your
board fabricator has problem somewhere else - drilling, copper
electroplating, etc.

Denny Fritz
MacDermid, Inc.

In a message dated 5/27/2008 10:58:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,