TECHNET Archives

May 2008

From:
"Smith, Rick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Smith, Rick
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 14:56:28 -0400
Hi Charlie,

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your insights. Our process today is the same as you state in your response. So far from what I'm gathering it doesn't seem logical to change it.

I initiated my research based on some statements made by a colleague in a lecture at Apex last month. He stated that he has not specified CI on his drawings for many years to save costs of board fab. He went on to say that he gets around it by working closely with the fabricator up front and then specifying the stackup including material types on the drawing. This is very similar to what I do with one exception, he does not specify controlled impedance on the drawing where I go through great pains to specify trace widths, spacings, reference planes, etc. He also has the luxury of working with relatively few "approved" suppliers who use the same materials so does not need to worry about Purchasing going to other suppliers.

Anyways, a potential cost savings intrigued me but, I thought I should do my own due diligence before changing our current process of specifying CI on the drawing..

I created a stackup of a known good design and asked two fabricators to model the impedance based on the data. This stackup specified a variety of single-ended and differential impedance trace widths, the laminate material and thickness, copper weight, core & prepreg, the usual stuff. The impedance models that I received from both fabricators were identical for 50% of the CI values. The other 50% of the CI values were so close as to be negligible, ranging from less than 1% to 2% difference.

My next step was to find out what the cost savings might be. I asked the same fabricators what the cost difference between CI and non CI and the answer from both was as stated in my original message to Technet. Being a skeptic I felt it best to post to this forum to obtain a variety of experiences.

So far I've learned that the performance of my test board should be the same from both fabricators whether or not I specify CI on the drawing. However, if there is no cost-savings advantage then it is better to be safe-guarded by keeping the CI information on the drawing.

Again, thank you very much for your response!

Best Regards,
Rick