TECHNET Archives

May 2008

From:
Leland Woodall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Leland Woodall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 12:05:58 -0400
Everyone,

Thanks for your previous help and suggestions, and hope you're having a
great Friday.

To update the group, there was another piece of this aggravating
material found last evening on third shift.  It is consistent in size,
shape, and compositional analysis as the previous samples.

It was found prior to the conformal coating process, so I was able to
check the magnetic properties.  It has none.

Unlike the others, this one was found on the bottom side of the board.
Removal of the material resulted in cracked flux and a slight visual
indication of an imprint of the wire on top of one of the effected
solder joints.

If I'm now thinking correctly (may not be, as this is wearing me down
fast), this was introduced to our product somewhere between our board
cleaning machine and the exit of our first reflow oven.

I intend to perform a solderability test this afternoon, laying a
portion of the sample in two adjacent paste deposits and checking the
results after reflow.  I expect to see the sample still there, only
having floated to the top of the reflowed joints but still encased in
flux.

Am I missing anything, or do you have any other suggestions on what I
can do with this material in an attempt to identify the source?

Thanks again for all your feedback in advance.

Leland