TECHNET Archives

May 2008

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 18:39:21 +0300
Sorry, David and/or Richard, all HFCs and PFCs ARE controlled substances
under the Kyoto Protocol, but they are not banned under the agreement.
Individual signatory states have the option to ban or restrict their use
as part of their GHG packet reduction. I know some countries restrict
their use to a justified minimum, provided that the users can prove
their need. I don't know of any country that has actually banned them,
but there may be some. A controlled substance under the Protocol means
that each member state has the obligation to submit annually a report yo
UNEP indicating their production/imports/exports/use/destruction of each
class of GHG.

I respectfully suggest you may wish to take a course in organic
chemistry if you believe that there is no carbon in a polyether. Ethers
are hydrocarbon derivative where an oxygen atom separates two carbon
atoms. The simplest perfluoroether is F3C-O-CF3 (hexafluorovinyl ether).
A polyether is an ether which has been polymerised, i.e., has formed a
chain in which there are one or more oxygen atoms within the chain of
carbon atoms. The oxygen does not replace a carbon atom. Perfluorinated
means that every hydrogen atom in the alkane chain has been replaced by
a fluorine atom which is covalently bonded to a carbon atom. If, as you
suggest, there were no carbon atoms in the molecule, it is probable that
its GWP would be zero and it would not be a GHG. Perfluoroethers are
perfluorocarbon derivatives.

Brian

Stadem, Richard D. wrote:
> Vapor Phase fluids are not banned/controlled under Kyoto and are in use in every major market in the world.
>
> Have them contact Solvay Solexis on their Galden line directly. This fluid is an polyether, not a carbon.
>
> Best Regards,
> David Suihkonen
> R&D Technical Services

of 4 generations/century, in the 12008, your 97*great-grandchildren will be cursing you because they will still be "benefitting" from the effects of 1.8 kg of Galden you emitted, still equivalent to 9.2 tonnes of CO2.