TECHNET Archives

May 2008

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 18:13:05 +0100
Ioan

I completely agree with Bev - get the facts first then decide.

My own investigations yielded the following:

Condensation soldering offers significant process
advantages:
• Accurate and uniform temperature control up to 250˚C with <5˚C
∆T above reflow. This avoids both flux vitrification and lead oxide
formation within the joint.

• Reflow process takes place within an inert atmosphere

• Temperature differential on BGA’s is at a maximum of: 1.4˚C ∆T
between internal and external solder spheres

• Soldering thermal equilibrium across BGA in 1.2 seconds

• Automatic self-alignment of components during soldering, thus
placement accuracy is far less critical

• Huge reduction in soldering defects due to self-alignment from
uniform reflow E.g. 50cm x 40cm assembly equipped with 48 BGA’s.
9,000 boards processed with a defect level of zero ppm!

• 80% reduction in energy consumption as compared to Convection Reflow

• Typical running costs are <£1.40 / hour Vs. >£10 / hour for
Convection systems with N2 - and that includes capital amortisation.

Whilst I understand Brian's environmental concerns, we still have to
get stuff out the door that works and at a reasonable price.

On a personal note, I strongly believe that we will all see a
significant softening of the "Green Brigade" as we hurtle into the
next ice age. Turn up the heat!

Graham Naisbitt