TECHNET Archives

May 2008

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 12:16:43 EDT

Dan,

Being a consultant on a military electronics team, I can say the BGA
performance very much depends on the board layout, component location, method of
locking the board in a card frame, use of board stiffeners, solder used, circuit
board material used (read that Tg 130C or Tg170C epoxy), and a host of other
factors.  Vibration analysis is pretty complex and certain consultants have
set up specialties in the subject.  Also, I am of the opinion that most
military contractors have developed good design models for vibration  environments,
even though they do not publish much on the subject.

One good place to start to understand vibration on board reliability is the
JCAA-JGPP project subjecting over 150 identical boards to a variety of thermal
 cycle, vibration, drop shock, and combined environment stresses.  The web
site to that report is

_http://acqp2.nasa.gov/projects/LeadFreeSolderTestingForHighReliability_Proj1.
html_
(http://acqp2.nasa.gov/projects/LeadFreeSolderTestingForHighReliability_Proj1.html)

and in particular the vibration section written by Tom Woodrow of  Boeing:

_http://acqp2.nasa.gov/LFS%20Reliability/VibEMP%20Rev.%20A%20010906.pdf_
(http://acqp2.nasa.gov/LFS%20Reliability/VibEMP%20Rev.%20A%20010906.pdf)

Please contact me offline if you need the names of some consulting
organizations who can help you in your vibration analyses.

Denny Fritz
SAIC, Inc.

In a message dated 5/8/2008 10:06:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,