TECHNET Archives

May 2008

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 12:16:34 -0700
Joe, I have seen the "it depends" notes...............8-)

........and of course they are correct, the finish, the re-work process, the
component being re-worked will all contribute.

One thing though - how many times do you need to rework it for your
purposes?

I have seen load board designs which were purposely build to withstand many
(10+) rework operations on BGA's using enig as a finish (here the component
could not be socketted for DVT testing purposes).

The issue there was actually not the enig, but how to keep the solder resist
in place with a BGA design during multiple re-work in the "dog bone" area
between the pad and the via.

If you need data on that contact me off line.

Have a great memorial day weekend Techies.............

John

John Burke

(408) 515 4992