TECHNET Archives

April 2008

From:
Ells Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ells Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:42:42 -0500
If you have some design flexibility, you may consider Tyco Electronics (AMP)
MICTOR product (typical partno. 5767007-9).  When we were Paradyne, this
style connector was used extensively for high speed, board-to-board
interfaces. (disclaimer - I do not rep nor have any financial interest in
Tyco).  We did not have coplanarity issues - the MICTOR  design has barbed
pins for the ground/shielding connection.  These provide slight retention &
help keep the part leads flush to the board.  It was easier to remove the
connectors, especially the ground connections.

Now Zhone, our designs use various Samtec hi-speed 0.8mm connectors.  We
have had issues with coplanarity on their products.  In one product, we use
a QSE with 200 pins; it is 3.988" overall length.  Parts right out of the
tray had 8-10 mils gap in the part's middle.  For this application we made a
"cap" tool to ensure the leads made contact with paste during reflow.
Contributing to this application's non-soldered middle leads is part
orientation - it is mounted perpendicular to the board's long axis (with the
board's short side
leading/trailing in the process). Any board bowing or deflection during
thermal processing will exacerbate the part's already marginal coplanarity.

If you're stuck with Samtec, part orientation parallel to the long axis
(assuming the short axis leads/trails) may help minimize the board's
contribution to non-coplanarity.

Reworking with the planar ground connections is a challenge.

I would be concerned about secondary lead tinning processes - these parts
are not tolerant of excessive handling (we have used Corfin Ind. on a couple
of projects - they performed well; this is not meant to be an anti-Corfin
statement).

Hope this helps.
Ells Berkowitz