TECHNET Archives

April 2008

From:
Eric CHRISTISON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Eric CHRISTISON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:38:42 +0100
I would have thought that your first problem would be that the flex will
be flat when manufactured and will therefore wrinkle when bonded to the
curved surface unless the curvature is very slight. I'm assuming a
doubly curved surface, obviously you won't have that problem if the
curvature is along only one axis.

This sounds like the kind of thing that you could assemble using a "vac
bag" process in the same way as composite structures are made. The main
issue with vac bag as I understand it that of movement between the layer
that are being laminated together. I guess this could be avoided by
designing in self jigging features to the mating parts. You may wish to
consider sub contracting the job to a manufacturer of aerospace
composite components??

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,

--
Eric Christison Msc
Mechanical Engineer