TECHNET Archives

April 2008

From:
"Lamote, Jan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lamote, Jan
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:16:23 +0200
Technet,
During cross section analysis we came across the section of a tantalum
capacitor.
The soldering was flagged as non conform IPC-A 610D.
In section 8.2.11 Inward Formed L-Shaped Ribbon Leads, table 8-11
indicates for class 1, 2 and 3 states for the maximum fillet height
:"Solder does not contact the component body on the inside of the lead
bend."

If you now have a contact between the bottom corner of the component
body and the solder, is this a defect ?
(have some pictures if needed, don't know if there still is a "technet
image upload service")

After asking different people I got answers ranging from "reliability
hazard" to "common with these types of components and acceptable"
(including independent lab, EMS, IPC training organisation...)

If something is a defect in all classes, seems to me that there must be
good reason why it is unwanted.
If it is common and acceptable, then I would expect to see it listed as
such in the standard.

Can anyone explain how this rule needs to be interpreted and what the
real dangers are ?

thanks,
Jan.

DISCLAIMER:
Unless indicated otherwise, the information contained in this message is privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and/or attachments is strictly prohibited. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Furthermore, the company does not warrant a proper and complete transmission of this information, nor does it accept liability for any delays. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the message. Thank you.