TECHNET Archives

April 2008

From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 08:49:08 -0500
I have never experienced any problems using 2% silver solder. I have
used it very often for the same reasons that Bogert wishes to use it, to
prevent leaching of sintered silver traces from aluminum oxide (ceramic)
substrates. It is very effective for that purpose. When I attempted to
use standard Sn63Pb37 solder with those components, much of the sintered
silver traces would dissolve into the solder. When I performed the same
soldering with Sn62Pb36Ag2, it worked just fine.
I know many companies and CEMs use 2% Ag solder paste for all standard
soldering and report better wetting. I have yet to hear of a real
problem associated with it, other than cost. I have never heard of
corrosion issues associated with 2% silver solder.