TECHNET Archives

April 2008

From:
Ken Bloomquist <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ken Bloomquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:31:45 -0700
Here are some answers to your questions:

Dave, [is there an end cap metallization such as nickel or copper between
the solderable surface finish and the ceramic metalized layer?]
I'm not sure. I've asked Steve to post one more picture of the end of the
fractured cap.

Mike, [Is your selective pallet hitting the cap in question when you
load/unload the board?]
Nope, I've checked the pallets and they are good with plenty of clearance.

Werner, [The problem with Pb-free soldering is that all your caps... My
recommendation is to reduce all cap pads, and RRs as well, to half the cap
widths to reduce the size of the solder fillet 'vise grips.' Those pad
widths were needed for wave soldering and the fillets for inspection.]
We are using SN63 not that other stuff ;-) We are a EMS so have very little
control over our customer but will certainly share your comments with them.
Any thoughts on an intermediate fix? What do you mean by "... RRs as well"?

Bruce, [Possible support pin placement issue?]
I'm not sure what you mean by "possible support pin placement issue". I'm
guessing you are saying the same thing as Werner though.

Thank you,

KennyB