TECHNET Archives

April 2008

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:51:05 EDT
Thanks for the message and link, Michael. Interesting  (sobering?) reading.
The annual cost numbers cited are likely to rise, I would be willing to bet.

Sounds like Harvey Miller's year 2000 prediction in his monograph
"Lead-free, Why?) of a price tag of 80 to 100 billion might be near the mark at the end
of the day. And then, of course, there will be the ongoing higher costs for
the extra energy for baking and reflow and higher temperature laminates and
warranty pay outs (which by the way are on the rise, as I understand according
to a friend with a son who is an actuary in the insurance industry)

Sadly WEEE makes RoHS (i.e., lead-free) unnecessary. The justification that
it makes electronics recycling safer is self-serving in my opinion. The data
does not support the claim. Poor recycling practices for RoHS compliant
products will be no less hazardous than for those containing less than 0.5% lead.

Wish there really was some environmental benefit to it all to justify the
cost. (or that I had at least purchase a boat load of tin metal futures...;-)

Nothing quite like legislated market demand...

I looked out the window. The sun is shining. It is going to be a good day

Thanks agian

Best regards,
Joe

In a message dated 4/19/2008 6:33:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,