TECHNET Archives

March 2008

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:15:27 -0600
Hi gang! The common thread that all of the examples that have been cited
is that high purity water is aggressive to material surfaces, especially
metals. As Rich described - "ion hungry" character of the water results in
surface species reactions which can degrade a number of pwb
characteristics depending on the type of metal and the quality of any
surface finishes. Doug and I have experienced the same impact on printed
wiring assembly solder joints. If you run an assembly thru a cleaning
system enough times, you can eventually etch the tin phase out of the
solder joints leaving a Pb rich surface. That Pb rich surface gives the
assemblies a purple appearance - we dubbed them "Barney boards" in honor
of the purple cartoon dinosaur. In another situation, ENIG assemblies
reacted with aluminum cleaning trays in a cleaning system - again, the
purity of the water played a role. Having ultra purity water isn't
necessarily a good thing for some situation.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
03/07/2008 08:57 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Effects of rinsing with high purity water.

We didn't have the weld problem with our cleaning machines, as the
welding rods were 18-8-2-1 alloy (expensive but was chosen for that
reason).

Welding 18-8 or 18-8-2 (or lower Cr/Ni SS) with 18-8 (or lower Cr/Ni SS)
rods is a sure fire way of having the weld problem.

However, we had one customer who coupled the machine to the water from
their semiconductor plant and the 18-8-2 alloy of the sheet metal
developed a thin coating of a loose very fine red powder, known as
rouge, despite the molybdenum. See
http://www.corrosionlab.com/Failure-Analysis-Studies/rouging.htm for
more details. This caused a long-lasting complaint from the customer but
I kept telling him to use a less pure water.

We never saw this with other customers who used DI water from a
mixed-bed column.

Brian

Douglas O. Pauls wrote:
> Along these lines, but slightly different, when my esteemed colleague,
Jim
> Maguire, formerly of Boeing, now with Intel, was doing SIR testing at
> Boeing, he told me an interesting story.  All of their SIR chambers had
> been plumbed with 18 megohm-cm water to make it as pure as possible.
After
> a while (don't remember the time frame) he started seeing very fine
metal
> needles on his test samples.  The high purity DI water had attacked the
> stainless steel of the chambers and the needles resulted.  He had them
> plumbed with 8-10 megohm-cm water thereafter.
>
> I know that ultrapure DI water is not desired for use in
microelectronics
> because it can attack aluminum bond pads, interfering with wire
> bondability.  In most cases, a microelectronics facility may start with
18
> megohm water, to get out the impurities, but will then mix carbon
dioxide
> back in to bring the resistivity down to the 2-6 megohm-cm range.
>
> For the cleaning of circuit boards, yes, I imagine that some people have

> been able to clean with tap water.  Keep in mind that what comes out of
> the tap in your area may not be the same as what comes out of mine.  Tap

> water quality varies greatly as you move geographically.  My biggest
> problem with tap water cleaning is that most industrial water supplies
are
> coming from the municipal water supply.  They add chlorine and sulfur
> compounds to cut down on bacteria growth.  What two ions are death to
> electronics?  Sulfur and chlorine.  That is why I have always
recommended
> that people at least use RO quality water (500 kilohm-cm or higher) in
> cleaning electronics.  If you are using a saponifier, as we do here, tap

> water has a large load of minerals that reduce the effectiveness of the
> saponifier and can result in shorter saponifier bath life.  Again, with
RO